GRDC Biochar Factsheet
The Grains Research and Development Corporation released a fact sheet in January 2013 titled Understanding Biochar.
The key points outlined that:
- Biochar is a purpose-produced charcoal and its composition varies according to the feedstock used and production conditions such as temperature and time.
- There is no single type of biochar. Biochar is a stable form of carbon that has potential for carbon sequestration.
- Research suggests it may be useful in decreasing soil greenhouse gas emissions. Biochar can alter the physical, chemical and biological properties of a soil and may improve crop productivity.
- Further study is needed on the performance of biochar in a range of soils and environments before it can be accurately predicted where it may have benefits.
- The economic viability of adding biochar is not yet proven and Australian farmers are currently unable to source large quantities cheaply.
Learn more about biochar.